We know 3d printing can be intimidating so we’ve gathered up a list of online resources and tutorials that can help get you started. They represent a wide range of software that we hope will be helpful to 3D printers of all skill levels.
Introductions to 3D printing:
- 3D Printing for Beginners – General 3D printing information
- SHAPEWAYS – Tutorials for 3D modeling in different softwares, creating models to be printed, and modeling basics.
- Lynda (Virginia Tech access) – Online tutorials available for a variety of softwares and modeling. Access is free for VT faculty, staff, and students.
- Autodesk – Online youtube tutorials made by the company (This is part 1 but then next videos can be found by viewing Autodesk Education’s other youtube videos)
- Tinkercad by Autodesk – A free web-based 3D digital modeling tool that allows you to create shapes and models. It also allows you to import vector shapes and extrude them into 3D models.
- Sketchup Make – A free 3D modeling software that you easily extrude custom shapes and designs.
3D model repositories:
- Thingiverse – A website with a library of pre-designed 3D printable models available for download.
- GrabCAD – A website of free pre-made CAD files available for download.
Mobile 3D design apps:
- Autodesk 123D – A free 3D modeling software with base files to start your designs or customize your own. Create models from photos, 2D slices, mashups, and more. Can be used with Tinkercad. It is a cloud-based program.
- VT Library Port: Digital Research Commons – A resource for above-average technology to express information in digital formats. Allow you to test market software before committing to purchase. Also contains a collaboration space to emphasize and implement special resources.